Sunday, 29 October 2006

new socks

I started another pair of socks last night. Machine washable 5 ply in a pretty, deep aqua colour.

I decided to treat myself and my fingers which have been aching a bit lately, so took out my rosewood 2.75mm dpns. They are lovely to use and I really enjoy them. However, the pattern I chose has a ribbed ladder alternating with cables. Cables and rosewood? Not a good mix. I did every cable holding my breath in case they snapped. Now that is one way to really slow down the knitting.

Not only that but the 5 ply on that size needle made a very stiff fabric which was not fun to knit at all. This morning I decided to be sensible about the rosewoods and got out some steel needles. It was that or my beautiful caseins which would have the same problem as the rosewoods. SNAP! Then I remembered the stiff fabric and decided I needed to go up a size.

I could find only two 3mm needles. I have no idea what happened to the rest of the set. It's not a size a use very much at all. Because the pattern is 14 stitches, I decided to use five dpns, although I much prefer four. So I have 3 smaller needles and two larger. I thought I would just give it a go and see what it looked like for a couple of cables, knowing I could always frog it. It doesn't look too bad, much to my surprise. I have no worry abot snapping needles and the fabric is much more pliant but still fairly close knit. There is a slight mark where I changed needles, but there won't be on the second sock. If anyone is looing so closely at my ankles as to see the difference, then good luck to them. I'm thinking that perhaps even this may disappear somewhat in the wash. I'm getting used to the five needles. I've done it before and it certainly makes the pattern easy to see but I prefer the rigidity of the triangle formed by three needles and knitting with the fourth.

No comments: