Saturday, 23 March 2013
rosebuds and hail
One Rosebud hat undamaged by hail. It is unblocked, I've just sewn in the ends. I hope blocking will give the cable a bit more definition. I like the pattern and will make it again. The small ball is all I had left. I really wanted to do an extra thirteen rows to make it slouchy, but could tell I would not have enough to finish if i did that.
I would never buy the yarn again. It's Shelter and was sold as a kit with the hat pattern. I'm really disappointed with it. The hat is very warm and possibly moisture repellent. It's thick and cosy. However, I have a sore thumb from it, I found it hard to feed through my fingers in knitting as it's coarse and hard. The coarseness burnt my fingers if I tried to knit fast. I hated the large bits of organic matter in it. Seeds, cobblers pegs and more. I pulled out as much as I could.
The colour is darker than shows in photo. It's Cast Iron and it really is a cast iron shade, quite dark. It's hot and sunny here so I'll block it today and hope the cable pops more than now. The pattern was not difficult but I made a couple of mistakes through inattention. There's a small cable on either side of the large and at least twice I did the wrong combination at the end. I dropped stitches down and fixed it.