I've admired knitting by others when they have been daring and different. I've continued on my way doing what I have always done.
However, the Shibui sock yarn in Chinese Red from Renae at Suzy hausfrau in Canberra has inspired me to branch out. I used this link to a for a tubular cast on which Renae had given on her Facebook page a few weeks ago. The link has video and written instructions. I used the written instructions and it's really perfectly simple. Why I didn't try this a long time ago is beyond me. I love the result, stretchy and perfect for socks. The only comment I would make is that it would be good to have a strong colour contrast between waste yarn provisional cast on and the actual sock yarn. Stitches are picked up from three rows down and I found the stitch sometimes hard to see, even using my daylight lamp. The result is a very neat looking start to the socks. So easy and I think I have found my new favourite cast on for socks at least. I also think it would be good for bottom-up jumpers and cardigans.
While I've been branching out and trying new things, I have also had a seniors moment or something similar. I had done the ribbing on this sock, found myself a lacy insertion pattern and set off down the leg. I suddenly realised the ball of wool looked small for a pair of socks. Checked the ball band and yes, I had bought only 50 gm. I ordered another from Renae and had an email confirming the package had been posted just on half an hour after my order. Nice work, Renae, thank you.
I have put the Array cowl mentioned below in the naughty corner for a while. That's done in the Shibui merino/alpaca and merino/silk. I checked with DIL that son would wear the deep purple, I'm pushing things a bit here, I know. 320 stitches on 5 mm needles with the 10 ply purple. The pattern itself is easy as only one colour is used at any one row with a slip stitch pattern. However, each row took ages and ages. the cowl is supposedly ten inches deep. I had done about one inch when I realised I would be bored stiff long before I reached the ten inches. It was very, very slow. Not only was it slow but I wondered if son would wear it looped twice around his neck, and decided he wouldn't. The 5 mm needles were producing a very stiff fabric with no drape for me, even though I knit loosely. So I frogged it and cast on with just over half the stitches originally specified and used 5.5 mm needles. Much better and easier to knit. Then I noticed a mistake, so out that came. I'll get back to it later.
One more picture for today. Baked eggs. I like eggs but don't eat them often but these make a good Sunday night meal in winter. I used a very small cast iron and enamel pot which has a lid, although that wasn't needed. I have two of these, bought originally for pâté. Greased very well. I put two organic eggs in it, chopped some spring onion very finely and added pepper and salt. I had about a tablespoon of cream in the container so I added a bit of milk and mixed it all together and put that with the eggs. Some freshly grated parmesan went on top. Into a moderate oven till done to your liking for eggs. My stomach rebels at runny yolks, so eggs are cooked till yolks are firm for me. Warming and different. I had a piece of toast and some fruit to follow.